ISLAMORADA, SPORTS FISHING CAPITAL OF THE WORLD
Just half an hour south of Key Largo, the area of Islamorada is a 20-miles long "Village of Islands" claiming the title of sportfishing capital of the world, promising an unforgettable Florida Keys experience for world-class angler and first-timers alike.
Whether to encounter the local Islamorada sailfish, bonefish, marlin, mahi-mahi, or the legendary Tarpon, Islamorada it a unique fishing spot with an unlimited choice of charter boats and world-class captains to walk in the footsteps of legendary fishermen such as Ted Williams, or Cecil Keith.
Besides sport-fishing, Islamorada is another great spot for snorkeling, leisurely swimming in crystal blue waters or simply laying low on a perfect white sand beach.
WORLD-CLASS ANGLING & SPORT FISHING
- Know as the Sportfishing Capital of the World for over 100 years, Islamorada is an iconic destination for all anglers, and the place where slatwater fly fishing and backcountry sport fishing conquered their badge of honor.
- Islamorada is unique and diverse fishing spot also because of its location just off the Gulf Stream, between Florida Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. In the Keys, Florida Bay is called the "Backcountry" while the Atlanttic Ocean is referred to as the "Front Side".
- Professional charter boats abound in Islamorada with something for every taste, from light tackle to offshore fishing, notwithstanding the inevitable party boats. Islamorada is definitely the place where you can hire top tournament-grade captains such as local legends Jimmy Albright, Cecil Keith, and Clarence Lowe.
- Sitting on the ocean's highway of game fish that is the Gulf Stream, Islamorada offers endless opportunities in terms of sportfishing: snapper, cobia, grouper, mahi-mahi, sailfish, marlin, tuna, wahoo, kingfish, amberjack, shark, barracuda and many more species, including the legendary sworfish.
FUN THINGS TO DO IN ISLAMORADA
- Accessible only by boat (private or guided tour), the Lignumvitae Key Botanical State Park is a tiny foresty island 1 mile off the U.S 1 Highway, where you can kayak, discover the local flora, hike with a ranger-guided tour, visit a 1930s historical mansion.
- Animal lovers, make sure not to miss Islamadora's Theater of the Sea, a marine adventure park unike any other where you can encounter sea lions and sting rays, and even swim with dolphins (reservations required) !
- Although seafood is the number one local treat, the M.E.A.T Eatery and Taproom on Islamorada is the place to have a tasty burger with mircobrewed beer or try the local specialty of truffle fries.
EXPLORING THE CULTURE OF THE KEYS
To learn more about Islamorada's local culture, visit the Windley Key Fossil Reef Geological State Park to walk self-guided trails along eight-foot-high quarry walls and discover the site of Henry Flagler's overseas railroad from the 1900s.
The Indian Key Historic State Park - sitting on an island on the Atlantic Ocean side of Islamorada- lets you get a glimpse of the local Native Americans history, or tour the island by boat or kayak which you can rent at the nearby Marina.
Passionate about diving? The History of Diving Museum is a unique place where you can educate yourself about the fascinating history of the discipline, from Edmund Halley’s 1691 diving bell to deep diving and military artefacts, as well as a great aquarium where you can see inside from a diving helmet.
'Aquanauts to Astronauts' Explores the Relationship Between Diving and Space Travel
21 Sep 2023
Aquanauts to Astronauts, the featured exhibit at Islamorada’s History of Diving Museum, examines the fascinating relationship between diving and space exploration, including how NASA uses both diving and living underwater to train future astron...
Nearly 400 Swimmers Compete in Open-Water Florida Keys Race - KEYS VIDEO ADVISORY
09 Sep 2023
Nearly 400 swimmers from across the United States and several foreign lands competed in an 8-mile open-water challenge to raise funds to restore an aging lighthouse off the Florida Keys.
Expanded Airline Capacity, Renewed Resorts and Attractions Among What's New in the Florida Keys & Key West for Fall 2023
07 Sep 2023
As temperatures begin to cool, fall in the Florida Keys & Key West is ideally suited for outdoor festivities and immersive activities, on and in the water and on land. Expanded airline seat capacity, new and newly renovated hotels and resort prog...
'Kids Keys' Values Available for Families Through Oct. 15
05 Sep 2023
Parents, kids, grandparents and extended families can explore Florida Keys attractions, tours, nature centers, museums, watersports and other offerings through a value-added program that provides free admission and opportunities for children age 12 a...
Ladies to Go One-on-One With Pros at Florida Keys Fishing University
24 Aug 2023
An award-winning "Ladies, Let's Go Fishing!" weekend university is to provide a lighthearted yet skill-heavy girls' getaway Friday through Sunday, Oct. 13-15, enabling female anglers to learn techniques from prominent fishing captai...