BIG PINE KEY & BAHIA HONDA, THE LOW-KEY ISLANDS
Point of entry of the Lower Keys, Big Pine Key is connected to Marathon by the iconic Seven Mile Bridge, which was one of the longest bridges in the world when constructed in 1912, and gained worldwide fame through blockbuster movies such as Licence to Kill, True Lies, 2 Fast 2 Furious, and Mission Impossible III.
Less animated than other regions of the Florida Keys, the Lower Keys consist in a string of smaller islands such as Summerland Key, Big Torch Key, and Sugarloaf Key.
Located just ahead of Big Pine, Bahia Honda Key is home to Bahia Honda State Park, a unique natural site with magnificent beaches and world-class snorkeling.
While mostly frequented for its diving, kayaking, cycling, and wildlife-watching activities, Big Pine Key also hosts a small community of amateur astronomers enjoy the perfect local conditions.
BIG PINE KEY & BAHIA HONDA Map
A hot spot for wildlife and diving
- Reaching Big Pine Key by the East means entering in deer country, as the 30-inch all, endemic Key Deers aka "toy deer" roam around the National Key Deer Refuge, a dedicated 2,300-acre mostly untouched natural reserve.
- Remarkable freshwater sites abound in Big Pine Key, including The Blue Hole within the National Key Deer Refuge, a watery sinkhole full of fish, turtles and even alligators.
- The remarkable Bahia Honda State Park is almost worth the trip by itself, with its incredible award-winning white sand beaches.
- One of the best snorkeling and scuba diving spots in the Florida Keys, the Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary is a great place to observe coral reefs and canyons, counless tropical fishes and other marine wildlife.
OTHER FUN ACTIVITIES IN THE LOWER KEYS
- Beyond casual snorkeling, Big Pine is also a base for exciting diving expeditions around major sunk ships and wrecks like the 210-foot long Adolphus Busch.
- Built in 1929, the Bat Tower is a singular building erected to fight mosquito invasions, and although it did not work as intended, it remains a popular sight with visitors if only for an unusual photo souvenir.
- Kayaking is a popular way to explore the Lower keys and to observe a colorful wildlife especially at sunset, from the shallow lagoons of No Name Key to the eerie mangroves of Saddlebunch Keys.
CAMPING & ACCOMODATIONS
- Due to a relatively slow housing development and large tracks of wild land along the 30-miles long Lower Keys, the Big Pine area is the favorite spot for camping in all the Florida Keys.
- Many campgrounds are available throughout the Lower Keys, as well as R.V. parks coming in all sizes, from small private rentals to large premium camping resorts.
- Some of the most popular camping sites are the Sugarloaf Key KOA, the Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge and the Geider Key Park Marina but you can also stay within the Bahia Honda Sate Park which hosts three campgrounds (80 campsites) for tents and RVs.
- Besides camping, the Lower Keys have a lot to offer in terms of accomodations, from B&B's like the Barnacle Bed & Breakfast, a wide variety of private vacation rental homes and hotels in all price ranges from the laylow Parmer's Resort to the exclusive Melody Key, as well as premium tropîcal resorts such as the Little Palm Island Resort & Spa.
Dazzling Drone 'Fireworks' Display to Cap Keys' Bicentennial Kickoff Concert
10 Mar 2023
Some 250 drones are to illuminate the sky above Key West’s Truman Waterfront Park Saturday, March 25, in a dazzling “fireworks” display capping the opening event of the Florida Keys’ multimonth bicentennial celebration.
Blue Angels to Headline NAS Key West's Bicentennial Air Show April 15-16
10 Mar 2023
Aviation aficionados can view the dynamic flying of the U.S. Navy’s elite Blue Angels Flight Demonstration Squadron as well as other military and civilian professionals Saturday and Sunday, April 15-16, during the Southernmost Air Spectacular.
'The Florida Keys: 200 Years of Paradise' to Debut Nationally March 1
01 Mar 2023
“The Florida Keys: 200 Years of Paradise, ” an hourlong television documentary that explores the history of the continental United States’ southernmost island chain, is set to debut on many Public Broadcasting Service channels acros...
Tripadvisor Names Key West Among Top 10 U.S. Destinations
17 Feb 2023
Tripadvisor has named Key West among the 10 most popular domestic visitor destinations in its 2023 Travelers’ Choice Best of the Best awards.
Florida and North Carolina Anglers Take Top Honors in Florida Keys' Cuda Bowl
09 Feb 2023
Zach Huff of Fort Myers, Florida, released 294.75 inches of barracuda to win the spin division of the 2023 Cuda Bowl Tournament that ended Feb. 11 in the Lower Florida Keys. Guided by his father, Captain Chad Huff of Marathon, Florida, he earned the ...